Remington 700ML Conversions
While not extremely challenging,
the 700ML conversion is more involved
than the Savage 10ML-II 50 cal to 45 cal barrel swap. While it is
possible for a DIY to do one fairly easily, if you're only doing one,
the cost of tools to do it right may not make it worth it.
What Materials Do You Need? (Minimum Cost: Approx $650)
- A Remington 700ML or 700MLS ($125-200 for blued and $200-300 for
SS are typical price ranges)
- For conversion purposes, the caliber does not matter! 45,
50, 54 all work. The barrel will be tossed and the actions are
all the same.
- Choose your Pac-Nor Barrel -
Pac-Nor barrels from me include matched drop
- Hunter 700ML Bolt Nose Conversion kit
- Savage 10ML-II Breech Plug
- .186" SS Tapered Recoil Lug
- Not absolutely required, but the stock 700ML recoil lug has a
notch cut into it for the ramrod. Furthermore, the lug is not
tapered, which makes bedding more difficult.
- Do not use .250" recoil lugs with your 700ML conversion.
This moves the breech plug tip back into the threaded portion of
the barrel, and it is not advisable.
Q: How do I do the conversion?
A: See below.
Q: Can I use the the factory 700ML stock?
A: Yes, but.... A lot of material will need to be sanded away to get
the barrel to fit. The factory stock can also be bedded, but for
the time and effort and the realistically achievable end result, your
resources may be better off buying a B&C, Hogue or other
How to Do the Conversion
As I previously mentioned, if you're just doing one conversion.
It's probably not worth buying the tools or the effort. I
will do the complete conversion for $100. If you want more than
the basic conversion work (bedding, etc) I can work with you on that too.